Tuesday 5 April 2011

Weekends!

In 2006 I went on Weight Watchers and lost 40 pounds. I kept the weight off until 2008 and really felt like I would have kept the weight off if it weren't for a very trying time in my life where I fell back on food for comfort. I can look back now, with the benefit of hindsight, and realize that I use food to help cope with difficult situations. As ridiculous as this sounds today, being an over weight person my entire adult life, I really didn't even notice that I ate like that.  Well, maybe I did realize but I didn't care. Today I know better and have to try to steer clear of the giant pitfalls I lay for myself in the path to being a healthier weight. Emotional eaters will always struggle with food as long as there are events, actions, children, relationships, jobs, money (you get the idea), to stress over


One of the tricks I used back in 2006 to maintain my sanity and my focus in order to lose 40 pounds and keep it off for 2 years was to take the weekend off from the careful counting of calories. I restrict the time to 24 hours from Friday night to Saturday night but within those hours I could satisfy all of my cravings and emotional feastings.  I would look forward to Friday so much and found I could hold off cheating during the week because it made the break that much better. I have been using this trick this time around and have lost 20 pounds regardless of having a bottle of wine or  a pancake breakfast between Friday and Saturday. Changing how you eat for life involves making exceptions to your rules. Allowances for parties, nights out, cravings or whatever. My goal is to try to keep those splurges to my Friday to Saturday rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment