Thursday 21 April 2011

The Public Forum

When you are living life as a heavier person you live life with your biggest flaws exposed and this exposure has given me some advantages. I feel I have the ability to laugh at myself, the knowledge that looks are only part of the package and a sensitivity to see other peoples flaws with less judgment because, after all, no one is perfect. However, weight is an issue that is still open to general ridicule in the public forum. Without getting too preachy and obnoxious, fatso's are often the butt of many jokes, the victims of prejudice, are judged on what they appear to be and not on who they are; these are facts of life for a fatty. 

The public forum is filled with these kinds of battles, I happen to fall into a category that is flexible and subject to change if that is what I chose to do. Not everyone is so lucky. I applaud those who are out there day in and day out fighting the good fight against the injustice and prejudices they face daily, reeducating people as they go. I am thankful for social networking because it has given me a voice and the incentive to continue on my journey. It can be a great tool for all of us who are working on ourselves or on changing the views of others one tweet, status update, blog posting at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment