Thursday 14 April 2011

Mentally ready

Back in January when I began this weight loss journey I had a lot to learn about how to stay on a healthy diet, how to incorporate exercise into my daily routing, how to balance my responsibilities and maintain my focus. At times this learning curve has been down right brutal. A daily and constant struggle to get my ass out of bed and walk in the middle of winter with the ice and the snow. To not give in to those emotional feastings, to have patience with myself when I can only run a half block instead of the 5 that I want to run. Bottom line is waaay back in January I was, mentally, totally ready to start this process. The idea of being "ready" to start a diet might sound foolish to anyone who doesn't have a weight problem, who can control their portion sizes and LOVES to work out. For those of us who over eat by habit and are lazy by nature changing your ways is like changing boyfriends, having a baby or starting a new job. It is time consuming, it takes discipline, it takes stamina and confidence. If you aren't willing to acknowledge that for the next three months, six months, a year, the rest of your life, you have to eat and move differently...you're sunk. I know this because leading up to my January start, I had tried three times and failed. A big reason why I failed is because I wasn't ready to make time for me. I was a new mommy, I was adjusting to life as a working mother, we had just bought our first home , so many excuses but they were all valid reasons at the time why I wasn't willing ready or, frankly, able to start the diet of a lifetime.

When I was finally ready to do it, I jumped with both feet and so far, so good :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment