Friday 15 April 2011

My progress so far

I started the couch to 5 km program at the end of March, it has been 3 weeks. In the first week I suffered. I lumbered and panted from start to finish. I doubted that I could ever run the 5 km. My expectation at the start was that I was never going to be able to jog 5 km without stopping. Today, I still have lingering doubts but that comes from a life time of convincing myself that I "can't run". But every run I do I wash away a little more of those doubts.  Today, I ran four blocks uninterrupted twice during my run. My walking periods we shorter then my jogging periods and I added a kilometer to my route so I am now jogging/walking for 4.25 KM. It is incredible how quickly the body adapts to an exercise plan. Our bodies are designed to move and we function better when we do. I find I am more alert, I am in a better mood on the days when my muscles are pleasantly sore from an early morning jog.  I find it is FAR more rewarding and the results are SO MUCH FASTER then my diet routine. The diet feels a bit like being deprived where jogging makes me feel proud of myself. If you are reading this and you are wondering if you could do it too....you can. I am still 50 pounds over my ideal body weight and I can do this. I'm not great at it, i'll never win any gold medals but I can still heft this body through the streets like any other jogger out there.

Try it, what have you got to lose???

Here are two great websites to get you started...

www.c25k.com
http://www.mapmyrun.com

No comments:

Post a Comment