Wednesday 15 June 2011

Involving the Family

I read this recently and it had brough me to tears.

http://www.penmachine.com/2011/05/the-last-post

 I read this man's final post from a 10 year blog, the last few years of it chronicling his battle with cancer. As sad and devastating as this last post is I came away from it thinking that this man Derek had it right in the end. He spent his final days reflecting on the joys in his life and realizing how lucky he was to have experienced his life, as short as it would be. Sometimes the daily grind can feel like it is turning me into dust. I have let it wear me down and that is my fault nobody else can take the blame for that one. I sometimes forget why I have spent the last 6 months getting a handle on my weight, it isn't for my vanity, it isn't so I can buy smaller jeans or run in a marathon...or suffer needlessly as it feels like I do sometimes. It is so I will be healthy enough to spend quality time with my son and live a long life so I can watch him grow. The one thing about this plan is that it doesn't factor in the unexpected, Derek's last blog posting brought that home to me. I found it incredibly profound reading about a father, a husband, a friend, a son living his final days so there wouldn't be any regret. They only way to do that is to appreciate every minute of it. To not let the daily grind effect you, get caught up in that.

So keeping this life lesson in my mind's eye, when Ian woke up at 5 a.m. instead of considering this  an obstacle for my exercise routine, I packed him up and took him with me.  We had a great time out on the road AND I was able to speed walk 5.56km in 48 minutes while pushing a baby carriage! It was a great way of spending some time with the little guy, he enjoyed the wild life that only comes out at 5 in the morning and I enjoyed showing it to him while exercising. If I could I would thank Derek for his last blog entry. It has made me slow down and involve Ian into my plans. To stop every day to appreciate what I have while I have it and to see the small pictures inside the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment