Wednesday 30 March 2011

Out of bed, off the couch, on the road again

Today was day two of my Couch to 5km experiment. The idea is in something like 9 weeks you will be running 5 km (Very optimistic in my opinion).  I have always had this internal dialogue that would say " running is not for you, you can't run half a block". Well today I proved myself right, disappointingly. I literally can only run a half block at a time. I was so cocky after day one, thinking "this is so easy why haven't I done this sooner". Today's leg of the experiment was a totally different story.  The burning ...ohhh, the legs, the calves, the lungs. Then came the stitches, the sweat, the cramping...ohhhh Lord. I have doubts whether I can do this...serious doubts.

So, how does one stay motivated to keep up with something that seems completely doomed? I think this blog will help me to stay accountable. I hope it will get easier and I will be able to look back at the tragedy of today's leg and say....it's so much easier today then on day 2. I will say that coming home (limping home) with that warm ache, the hot, flushed cheek, sweaty and out of breath, I felt healthier. As unhealthy as I am I felt those 10 minutes of burning did SOMETHING, and it is more then I have done in a long long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment